Well, maybe not “pearly” but they’re definitely pretty.

I absolutely needed an matching Cap, Neckerchief, and sleeve ruffles (and desperately want a matching apron). I bought some stunning woven-checked cotton lawn/gauze stuff when I was in Williamsburg for my internship (Hello, 3 year old stash fabric) but it’s just so pretty, I couldn’t use it for anything except the 18th century and now I have a reason!

I decided that my ensemble would be mid 1780s. Why? -one must always have a reason- My reason is “Ohio founding”. Marietta, the oldest city/settlement in our territory, was founded in 1788. So if I have an occasion to be a pretty princess in Ohio, at least I’ll be….. plausible. So…. mid 1780s. Check. Now what style of cap?

Pierrot Cap

From French fashionplate with lots of “bonnet” styles from the Boston Museum of Fine Arts

Bonnet a la pierrot! Bonnet of the sparrow, if you want to translate it out literally. I made a pierrot jacket, why not a cap, too!?

As always, it’s good to find at least 3 sources to make sure that you’re creating something that someone might have worn. When I first saw this cap I thought How ridiculous! I want straight up ruffles on my head then I forgot about it and continued on my researching way.

1780-1785 Painter Francis Alleyne

Ah! Isn’t it fabulous! And to go with my pierrot jacket, it only makes sense, right? From the three sources, I decided I’d make a Bonnet a la Pierrot from my lovely fabric from Burnley and Trowbridge (an excellent source for period accurate fabrics and supplies, bytheway) with only one ruffle/pleat in the front, more like the first fashion plate.

Here are the pieces to the cap before they’ve been put together. You’ll notice that I’ve rolled all the hems of the pieces so they are to be whipped together. This makes it more sheer and is normally done on gauze caps, to ensure it’s sheer-ity.

SONY DSC

**Disclaimer** Cotton does not always roll very nicely. This one fought me if I weren’t in the non-stripey areas. A couple of times I lost my temper.

Then I pleated my brim-ruffle and my caul-ruffle then whipped it all together to it’s gauzy glory. I’m very excited to wear this frippery! It took me three days to make because of all the rolled hems. And VOILA!

Top view!

The neckerchief is super easy. Just a big triangle with rolled hems. Look at the pretty!

SONY DSC

And then of course, sleeve ruffles! I didn’t put them together until the morning of our costumed day in CW, but I got them done. They’re super cute and easy to do.

SONY DSC

Ahhhh the little details.

All together now!

SONY DSC

Not the best picture of me ever (hello big nose!) but I’ve got all my pretty whites on!

Advertisements